Aroundabout Local Media is seeking a full-time editor for its Around Acworth magazine.
The Around Acworth magazine editor oversees the day-to-day operation of a glossy, 68-page, monthly publication. Responsibilities include: Planning, information-gathering, editing, proofing and coordinating tasks with other members of the staff. The Around Acworth editor works in association with the executive editor, photographers and designers.
Around Acworth is one of four monthly publications in the Aroundabout Local Media enterprise. The hyperlocal magazines unite the communities they serve by sharing positive and relevant information through a wide range of content.
- Write cover stories, advertorials and special features that help fill the publication.
- Schedule photo shoots with clients and photographers.
- Represent the publication to the community by attending chamber and/or networking meetings to form relationships and stay on top of news and events in the distribution area.
- Take part in community events to make connections, gather information and possibly take photos.
- Establish a base of lifestyle writers and manage business-related writers, offering them direction, gathering their submissions, editing and sending to a copy editor and page designer.
- Attend the monthly proofing session for the magazine.
- Work closely with production to adhere to deadlines.
- Think ahead, plan features and content for each month’s issue. Be willing to share ideas and content with the editorial team.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and other company team-building activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or related field.
- Resident of Acworth or a five-mile radius of downtown.
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with AP style.
- Strong computer applications skills with the ability to use shared document applications such as Google Docs and OneDrive.
- Enthusiastic team player eager to contribute and grow in a highly collaborative environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple assignments under deadline.
- Self-disciplined and self-motivated.
- Highly creative with excellent writing and storytelling skills and experience; ability to research, interview, write, edit and proof.