By Carla Caldwell
Some highlights of our recent tour include:
L. McMillan House, 4671 Collins Ave. The home was built by James McMillan for his bride, Emma Alice Lemon, in 1879.
Honeymoon House, 4496 Dallas St. Lemon Awtrey built this home for his bride in 1907. The 13-room home has its original stained glass, decorative shingles, transom and sidelights.
Lemon House, 4375 Willis St. James Lile Lemon built the home in 1856. The home was Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman’s headquarters in 1864. The home was used as a hospital after the battle of Kennesaw Mountain and was spared when Union troops burned Acworth in 1864.
Noland House, 4465 Carnes St. This two-story home dates to the mid-1850s. The small addition on one side once served as a kindergarten and its original bell is still out front.
First Baptist Church, 4583 Church St. The church was built on this site in 1872, but little of the original structure is visible after a renovation in 1940. The congregation dates to 1840.
Bethel A.M.E. Church, 4683 Bell St. The church was built in the 1870s. Two bell towers, which are different heights, were added in 1895.
Historic Acworth Antiques and Awtrey Corner. Corner of Cherokee, Northside and Southside streets. Built in 1894, the building once housed a hardware store.