Back in 1907, J.F. Collins sold a one-acre plot of the Collins property to Charles M. Lovinggood for $400. Lovinggood built a home on the property and later that year sold it to J.J. Northcutt, a Marietta attorney, for $800. In 1947, it was purchased by Dr. Moses N. McCall and his wife, Mary Bolton McCall. The home, which is located at 4623 Collins Ave., has been known as the McCall House ever since.
Dr. McCall was an area physician and one of the founding doctors of Kennestone Hospital. Mrs. McCall was a nurse. They practiced together for many years, often treating patients in their front room at all hours of the day. They raised six children in the home — Moses, Ham, Sue, Russ, Claire and Murl.
Mrs. McCall was also Acworth’s first female mayor, serving in 1956 and 1961-1966. She originally tried to get her husband to run, but he adamantly refused. So, she decided to run herself. She did not campaign, but she won easily. During her tenure, she began street lighting and sewer improvement programs, and Acworth obtained natural gas and toll-free telephone service to Marietta.
In honor of the McCalls’ contributions to the city, McCall Primary School is named for them.
The McCall House is a Queen Anne Victorian-style home with a hipped and gabled roof and wrap-around porch. The three-bedroom, two-bath home has original pine floors, 12-foot ceilings and four fireplaces.
At press time, this home is on the market — another opportunity to own a piece of historic Acworth. More photos and information about the home are available on the Zillow website.
By Becca Kienel